Mentors Needed for Waterbury Youth!
At Waterbury Youth Services, our mission is simple: Guiding youth to discover their unique talents and potential for success- one life at a time.
Our Mentoring program is looking for kind, caring, dedicated community members who are ready to make a commitment to the next generation! This is an opportunity to make real, tangible change in a time when human connection is more important than ever. You can truly be the change you want to see in the world. Want to see your efforts make a direct impact on youth, and by doing so, strengthen our community and move towards a better future for us all?
Our mentoring program matches youth with community volunteers such as yourself for a year of conversation, inspiration, guidance and positivity. With just a few hours a month, you can change the life of a young person, just by being yourself! That’s all it takes. We will provide training and support through the entire match. Best of all, our mentors can expect to learn as much from their mentee as the mentee will learn from them. Who else will keep you up to date on the latest slang or teach you the newest tiktok dance?
Youth with mentors have:
♥ Better school attendance
♥ Better school performance
♥ Better chance of going on to higher education
♥ Better attitudes toward school
♥ Improved self-esteem
♥ Less likelihood to use alcohol and illegal drugs
♥ Increased social skills and ability to relate to a variety of people
♥ Increased drive to set career goals and to participate positively in the workforce
There are no "perfect mentors." Just people trying their best to help younger people be their best!
• Sincere desire to be personally involved with a young person to help them achieve their goals
• Ability to communicate with youth openly and in a non-judgmental manner
• Adaptable regarding virtual and in-person meetings
• Familiar with current technology
• Strong listening and communication skills
• Actively embraces and values diversity
• Familiar with the Greater Waterbury area
• Willing to make a minimum 12 month commitment, 6 hours per month,
21 years +
• Must have valid driver’s license and registered, insured vehicle
• Must provide 3 references and pass DMV and criminal background checks
• Bilingual a plus, but not required
Are you ready? Apply now and begin your mentoring journey today!